There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to get to sleep, lying there, tossing, turning and thinking about how tired you will be tomorrow. Luckily, though, there is a simple solution to end all this struggle and make every night a good night, no matter how much you sleep. What’s the big secret?
Ok, don’t slap me yet, read at least a little more first. Half the reason you can’t get to sleep (apart from the fact that you’re up late reading this post) is that you are trying to get to sleep. Here’s how it works:
1) You lay down in bed
2) You can’t sleep
3) You try really really hard to get to sleep
4) Your mind starts jibber jabbering about how you should be asleep and how exhausted you’ll be tomorrow
5) You feel anxious, worried, frustrated and stressed
6) Which makes it really hard to get to sleep
7) Return to step 2. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
Try this instead: How to Enjoy Your Awakeness!
1) Lay down in bed
2) Notice that you’re still awake
3) Remember that you “never get enough time” to practise mindfulness
4) Practise mindfulness
5) Continue until: a) You fall asleep or b) It is time to get up.
Follow this formula and two things will happen. The first is that the feelings created by the struggle will vanish, boom, gone! The second is that you will amazingly sleep more, sleep better AND find the time to practise mindfulness. It’s a win-win-win.
Try it tonight and post your comment tomorrow, I dare ya!